Friday 25 January 2013

Fast Track to Feeling Good

“I feeeeeel gooood! doobidoobidoobidoo I knew that I wooooouuuuld”

I’m coming to the end of my third week since I changed my lifestyle to that of the 5:2 plan and I’m really getting into the swing of it now.

Firstly, after deciding only a foolish person would weigh themselves on a Monday, I have moved my weigh day to a Friday. So I stepped on the scales this morning and I weighed 10st 7lb exactly and my body fat is down to 16.1%. That’s 4.2lb down on where I started. What a great way to start the day and go into the weekend!

Secondly, yesterday was my 6th Fast day. Stuart and I have slotted into quite a nice routine of our Fast days being on a Monday and a Thursday. It wasn’t necessarily our intention to keep them the same but they do seem to be good days and its worked out well for us to keep them that way. But its still nice to know we have the flexibility to move a day should we need to. Though if we did move it to another day, it is easier if we both fast on the same days so we would both need to change it.

It has started to feel really easy now. So much so, I felt confident enough to exercise on a Fast day. Yesterday, I did my 30 Day Shred DVD in the morning (level 2), drank lots of water, then I walked 1.5 miles into Southbourne, with Millie in the buggy, to meet a friend for lunch and do a bit of shopping. That lunch was the first food I had eaten that day. I didn’t feel faint or weak or even that hungry. I felt good!

I was a little nervous going out for lunch but Maxine was happy to be flexible so we found somewhere that suited my diet. I thought if there was a tomato soup that’d be fine or they did an all day breakfast, I’d be able to ask for a piece of dry toast topped with a poached egg, and I’d be ok. I looked in the window of the first place and saw mountains of cheeses and cured meats, the menu read pizza, paninis, scrambled egg…I thought that maybe that wasn’t the best place to go!! Just a tad too cruel! It was a deli too so all the delicious offerings were all on show. Instead, we went to a Gastro-Pub place. They did do all day brunch and I did see poached egg on the menu so thought that would be my fall-back option but I was really hoping for soup. I was in luck, they had a choice of two soups – chicken & vegetable and Mediterranean vegetable! I opted for the Mediterranean vegetable. It came with bread which I should have pre-emptied and asked for it without but I took home the bread (a lovely piece of ciabatta) and gave half to my mum and froze half so it didn’t go to waste! I did decide to leave about a third of the soup though to make sure I didn’t go over my calories as I had no idea how many were in it. I’m sure I would’ve been fine if I had eaten the lot as it wasn’t a huge bowl and from what I imagine the ingredients were, I doubted it would’ve been that bad but, not knowing, I erred on the side of caution. The lady joked when she took the bowl away it must be a tough diet if you aren’t even able to finish your soup – haha! For a drink I had a small diet coke and some tap water.

After a lovely lunch catching up with my friend, Millie and I walked home again (well, Millie didn’t do much walking! Lazy moo!) taking a diversion to some further shops slightly out of my way on a mission to find some red wine vinegar for a Fast day dinner I was going to try. Unfortunately, I found none and cooked something else for dinner (the yummy Vegetable Pot I blogged the recipe for). When I did get home, I admit I was knackered and had very little energy to do much else until dinner time!

Overall, the exercise – and I did probably do a bit more exercise than I’d usually do on a non-Fast day – wasn’t a problem. I do think I would only do it if I felt up for it on that day, which is how I’m tackling exercise on any day at the moment. A few days this week (this morning included), I’ve just been too tired – the twice a night wake-ups to feed Millie do take their toll!) and I don’t think it would’ve been a good idea to exercise on the first couple of Fast days as my body wouldn’t have adapted to the new routine. But I  wont be avoiding exercise on Fast days from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment